Andrew Tate says Romanian prosecutors have no evidence against him
BUCHAREST: Andrew Tate said on Wednesday there was no justice in Romania and the case against him in a criminal investigation for alleged human trafficking and rape was empty.
Tate, her brother Tristan and two Romanian suspects have been in police custody since December 29 pending an ongoing criminal investigation into charges of forming a criminal gang to sexually exploit women, charges they deny .
Last week, a Romanian court extended their detention until February 27. Prosecutors said the Tate brothers recruited their victims by seducing them and falsely claiming they wanted a relationship or marriage.
They also said that Andrew Tate, a former professional kickboxer with American and British nationality, raped one of the victims in March last year, which he denied.
“They know we didn’t do anything wrong,” Tate told reporters as he was brought in for further questioning by organized crime prosecutors, the first comments made to the media since his arrest.
“This file is completely empty. Of course it’s unfair, unfortunately there is no justice in Romania.”
When asked if he had hurt any women, Tate replied, “Of course not.”
Earlier this month, Romanian authorities said they seized goods and cash worth 18 million lei ($3.99 million), including luxury cars and properties in the framework of the investigation.
“There is no evidence against me,” Tristan Tate told reporters on Wednesday. “The authorities are planning to steal my cars and steal my money. That’s why I’m in jail.”
Prosecutors said the seizure was intended to prevent the sale or concealment of the assets.